In case I never get around to in-depth thoughts, I just wanted to create a record of things I’ve recently finished.
- Safety Not Guaranteed – This was new on Netflix. It had 3 different people from 3 different TV comedies that I like, so I gave it a shot. I told Stevie, “It has April [from Parks and Rec], Nick [from New Girl], and the mid-wife from Mindy.” I don’t have much to say about it. I was expecting a comedy, but I got something different, and I still enjoyed it. I was surprised that Mark Duplass was actually a good actor, since I’ve only seen him in The League and The Mindy Project. Aubrey Plaza was basically April.
- 3 seasons of White Collar – This show is really, really fun. There’s an escapist element with all the caper stuff. There’s also good chemistry between the two leads. They also created some nice emotional stakes in their season-long story-arcs. If you’re a girl or gay guy, there’s a lot of fan-service. The only real flaw is their blatant product placement for Ford. Seriously, there’s one scene where they’re in the car racing somewhere because I think someone was kidnapped, and they take some time to talk about how the car is eco-friendly.
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time – The book takes you on an adventure told through the point of view of an autistic child. It does a good job making you empathize with the way he thinks.
- 2 seasons of Mad Men – This show is as good as people say it is. It is slow, so if you don’t like that, don’t watch it.
- All of Parks and Rec – This might be the best sitcom ever. Or it’s second to Arrested Development.
- All of Freaks and Geeks – This show is just as good as Mad Men, if not better. Amazing storytelling.